Why we should eat insects?
We are researchers, registered dietitian, sports nutrition experts. We met Bugs Kulture in Thailand, China, Hong Kong, but also in France and Italy.
We are convinced that eating insects it’s the Future of Food
- Because FAO estimates that by 2050 world food production will have to increase by at least 70%
- Because by 2030 at least 39 million tons of meat will be consumed and there is not enough space for all these pastures or farms
- Because 2 billion people consume insects on a regularly basis and insects were already the food of our past
- Because they are eco (less water, soil and greenhouse gas emissions)
- Because 1 kg of grasshoppers has the same calories as 10 hot dogs or, if you prefer, 6 Big Macs
- Because they make up to 80% of bioavailable proteins, in addition to minerals, essential fatty acids and fiber
- Because insects are aready part of the diet of at least 2 billion people
- Because insects are not at all disgusting, or at least, no longer snails, animals 'and shellfish' s interiors, which are not even too far apart
- Because they are already present in our daily food (in chocolate, fruit, tomato sauces ...)
Italbugs at FAO Conference in Ede, Netherlands
Since 2014 Italbugs started to be present at the main international conferences on insects as new food. For example we were at “Conference Insects to feed the world” in Ede (Netherlands), oranganized by FAO and the Wageningen University, the first major international conference bringing together entomologists, entrepreneurs, nutritionists, chefs, psychologists and government officials to discuss the introduction of insects such as food and feed, particularly in the West.